TechEmerge is on a mission to demonstrate that state-of-the-art technologies and new business models can make temperature-controlled logistics efficient, affordable, and sustainable in Nigeria.
In collaboration with Kobo360—an e-logistics platform operating across Africa that connects truckers to customers—TechEmerge will match innovators across the world with leading companies in Nigeria to pilot sustainable cooling solutions that reduce losses in supply chains, strengthen access to TCL-dependent products and markets, and build commercial partnerships.
Why TCL? TCL is crucial for both producers and consumers to participate in the $10+ billion global market for perishable products. Currently, Nigeria accounts for a very small slice of that market, but it offers long-term opportunities for those who enter at this nascent stage.
We are seeking innovations, including homegrown Nigerian solutions, that are clean, sustainable, resource-efficient, and scalable. These innovations must be applicable for leading local companies, including transport/logistics companies, truck owners, insulated container & refrigeration unit providers, and TCL buyers.
*Click here for detailed information on types of technologies, sectors, and specifications.
TechEmerge innovators are selected through a competitive process. Shortlisted applicants will be invited for matchmaking with local adopters to pilot their technology, product, or service and commercialize it in Nigeria, and Africa more broadly.
- Access a nascent African TCL market of potential users/buyers of cooling technology, products, and services.
- Work with leading adopters operating cold chains across different sectors, such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and food distribution.
- Access a pool of up to USD 1 million in funding to support pilot projects.
- Technical assistance from the TechEmerge team and our global network of advisors to develop pilot implementation and market entry strategies.
- Potential IFC investment for successful innovators with scalable solutions.
WHAT’S THE CRITERIA?
- Priority will go to proven products installed in at least one commercial setting, but innovations at the product development stage will also be considered.
- Innovators must be privately-owned companies, typically with less than 50 employees and less than US$100M in venture capital funding (with some exceptions).
- Innovations must respond to the cooling needs and challenges of Nigerian adopters.
- Clean, sustainable, resource-efficient solutions demonstrating value for money and scalable potential in the Nigerian market.
- Ability to allocate time and resources to participate in the project, including virtual meetings and events, and implementation of field testing/pilot projects on the ground in Nigeria.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
- Assess: We identify challenges and gaps in Nigeria’s TCL market, talking in person with adopters to ensure we understand which technologies would best meet their needs.
- Source: We launch an open call for innovators from around the world who have market-relevant solutions to apply to join the program.
- Select: With the support of a network of expert advisors, we select high-performing innovators with proven technologies that can meet the needs of participating adopters.
- Match: Through a carefully curated process, we arrange events and meetings for the shortlisted innovators to meet local organizations, demo their products, and discuss working together in pilot projects.
- Pilot: With our support, selected innovators and participating organizations partner to test technologies in a local setting.
- Commercialize: If the pilot is successful, the local organization and innovator may decide to enter into a commercial contract.
Get more details and apply HERE