The Explorers Club is excited to announce a new grant program in partnership with Discovery, Inc. The Explorers Club Discovery Expeditions grants align with The Club’s mission to foster scientific understanding for the betterment of humanity and all life on Earth and beyond, including our commitment to mitigate climate change, prevent the extinction of species and cultures, and ensure the health of our lands, oceans and all that inhabit them. Further, we believe that the explorers fulfill a critical role as a storyteller.
The Explorers Club Expedition grants support researchers and explorers from around the world, while also providing them with a platform to illuminate their findings—and without restrictions on scientific publication or infringement on ownership of research. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
WHAT THE PROGRAM FUND
Fieldwork in the following disciplines will be considered: Biological sciences, archaeology, anthropology, paleontology, earth sciences, ecology, and astronomy, as well as exploratory projects that reveal new knowledge about the planet and its inhabitants, including regions undergoing environmental or cultural change.
HOW TO APPLY
The application process involves two steps. First, you must SUBMIT A PRE-APPLICATION HERE. If your pre-application is approved, you will be invited to submit a full application via our online applications portal. (Full applications may be submitted by invitation only.)
WHEN ARE APPLICATIONS REVIEWED?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please apply a minimum of six months in advance of your field dates.
HOW MUCH CAN I REQUEST?
Grants generally range from $25,000 to $40,000.
HOW DOES THE MEDIA COMPONENT WORK?
Grant recipients must provide first right of refusal to cover their expedition, and will have access to Discovery’s global audience through their digital and television programming, with the goal of producing compelling, educational and inspirational content.
DOES THE EXPLORERS CLUB OFFER OTHER GRANTS?
The Club continues to support the “next generation” of explorers through our Exploration Fund and Youth Activity Fund, and we support other explorers through our Rolex, OceanX, and Fjallraven grants. Click here to learn more about our other grant programs.
What types of expeditions are funded?
- Fieldwork in the following disciplines will be considered: biological sciences, archaeology, anthropology, paleontology, earth sciences, ecology, and astronomy, as well as exploratory projects that reveal new knowledge about the planet and its inhabitants, including regions undergoing significant environmental or cultural change.
- While there may be lab components of a project, grants will provide funding for projects that are largely based upon a field expedition.
- Fieldwork can be rugged and adventurous, but the program will not consider projects purely focused on adrenaline sports or physical feats.
When should I expect a response after submitting the pre-application?
The pre-applications are reviewed on a monthly basis, so it should take no more than 30-45 days to receive a response from the grants administrator as to whether you will proceed to the next phase of the process.
What is required in the full application?
- Succinct project title and a one-paragraph project summary.
- Expedition start and end dates.
- One to two-page project description, including hypothesis and clearly stated methodologies for science-based projects.
- A detailed project budget.
- Your C.V., as well as C.V. of team members.
- Inclusion of a local collaborator on your team.
- A three-minute video statement by the grantee.
- Two letters of recommendation regarding the applicant and their project.
- Relevant affiliations.
- Any required permits to carry out your expedition or project in the proposed country.
- Applicant’s social media handles and website.
- Any relevant maps and visual documentation of the project site.
What is the timeline for the submission of applications?
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and reviewed quarterly. The Club recommends that applications be submitted at least six to nine months in advance of planned fieldwork.
Who evaluates my application?
Applications are reviewed by the Club’s committee of Ph.D. researchers representing a range of scientific disciplines, as well as by the Vice President of Research and Education and Explorers Club executives. Applications may also be reviewed by additional specialists recommended by the grant committee. A committee from Discovery Inc. will then review EC recommended applications to initially determine which proposed projects offer the strongest potential for web and television coverage. However, an upfront commitment to coverage of the expedition is not necessary for the approval of an application.
What are the criteria for the application?
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of how the project or expedition aligns with the mission and ethics of The Explorers Club. Fieldwork will be evaluated on the scientific credibility, innovative approaches, and possible impact of the expedition, as well as on the relevant credentials of the team leader and team members. The proposed project will also be evaluated on its potential to inform and educate a global audience through inspirational storytelling.
Deadline: Rolling Basis
Click HERE to Apply