Meta is offering Impact Grants to organizations and institutions using Llama 2 to positively impact society.
Recent breakthroughs in AI, and generative AI in particular, have captured the public’s imagination and demonstrated what those developing these technologies have long known – they have the potential to help people do incredible things, create a new era of economic and social opportunity, and give individuals, creators, and organizations new ways to express themselves and connect with people.
Building off a legacy of open-sourcing our products and tools to benefit the global community, this past July we launched Llama 2 as the next generation of our open-source large language model. Since its release, hundreds of thousands of download requests have signaled the importance of Llama 2 to the global developer community.
With open source being part of our DNA, we want to expand that opportunity to even more organizations across the globe. That is why we are launching the Llama Impact Grants program. The goal of the program is to identify and support the most compelling applications of Llama 2 for societal benefit.
The Llama Impact Grants is an open-source large language model that Meta and Microsoft released for research and commercial use in July.
Meta’s Llama 2 grants are open to global organizations and institutions focused on providing artificial intelligence-driven solutions for underrepresented communities.
The goal is to identify and support the most compelling applications of Llama 2 for societal benefit.
Applications will be considered in three categories;
Meta recognizes that global challenges are complex and nuanced. That is why they are structuring this program around three different tracks: Education, Environment, and Open Innovation.
“If your lab or organization has ideas for how to address any of these or other critical global challenges leveraging Llama 2 your proposal is welcome
Eligible organizations must be one of the following:
1. A non-profit organization that operates solely for a “charitable purpose.”
2. An academic institution (colleges, universities, or other educational institutions) of higher learning that grants degrees that can be public, private, or non-profit.
3. A research institution, an establishment outside of higher education founded for doing research which can be public, private, or non-profit.
Each organization must adhere to the following requirements:
- Must not be an individual, a sole proprietor, or a sole-owner entity in the jurisdiction where it is formed.
- Must be an entity that is duly formed prior to October 1, 2022, and in good standing under the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Organization was formed.
- Must have the legal right to participate in this Grant Program and its participation will not violate any agreement or obligation between the Organization and any third party.
The Llama Impact Grants program will provide $500,000 in grants to projects using Llama 2 to address grand challenges in the three marked areas i.e. education, the environment, and open innovation.
All grant proposals will be evaluated by assessing technical feasibility, data privacy responsibility, Llama 2 applicability, and impact.
Meta will notify the teams whose proposals are selected as finalists in January 2024.
Deadline: November 15, 2023
Click HERE to Apply