The SADC Media Awards were established in 1996 to recognize best media work in disseminating information on SADC to support the process of regional cooperation and integration. The winners of the 2024 SADC Media Awards will be announced during the opening ceremony of the 44th SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government to held in Republic of Zimbabwe.
Entries are invited from the following categories:
- Print Journalism: comprising features/articles published in newspapers, newsletters, websites, magazines.
- Print Journalism submissions should have a minimum of 100 (one hundred words and a maximum of 2000 (two thousand) words.
- Radio Journalism: comprising broadcast material.
- Radio Journalism broadcast material should have a minimum duration of one minute and a maximum of 30 (thirty) minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- Television Journalism: comprising televised material.
- Broadcast material should have a minimum duration of 1 (one) minute and a maximum of forty-five (45) minutes. All broadcast material should be submitted on a CD or USB. The entries should be accompanied by electronic transcript in word format for translation purposes.
- Photojournalism: comprising published pictures with a caption.
- Photographic entries should have one (1) photo, or a pictorial spread of not more than twenty (20) photos published in one issue/edition. Each entry must be accompanied by an original newspaper in which photo(s) were published
- The first prize winner in each of the four categories mentioned above receives US$2,500 and the runner-up receives US$1,000.
- Open to journalists from the SADC Member States.
- The entries should have been published/broadcast between January and December the year preceding the awards (2023) by a registered and/or authorized media house or agency or carried on a website of a registered and/or authorized media house or agency in any of the SADC Member States.
- The themes of the entries to be submitted for the competition must be on issues and activities promoting Regional Integration in the SADC region, i.e. infrastructure, economy, water, culture, sports, agriculture, etc.
- All media practitioners who are SADC nationals may enter the competition, except those in institutions contracted by SADC and the SADC Secretariat staff.
- All works entering the competition should be in one of the SADC working languages, i.e. English, Portuguese, French and any national indigenous language of the SADC Region and should be submitted together with the transcript in one of the three SADC working languages, i.e. English, French and Portuguese. These should be published/broadcast (newspaper cutting, websites, magazines, audio CDs, USB and newsletters.
All entries must be submitted to the National Adjudication Committee not later than February 29, 2024.
All submissions must be made strictly on the SADC Media Award Entry Form and should contain full contact details of the entrant, including, passport-sized photograph, physical address, telephone and, where applicable, fax number and e-mail address.
Deadline: February 29, 2024
Click HERE to Apply