This call for applications is segmented into two areas:
> Registration for Africa Youth in Tourism Innovation Summit
> Applications for Africa Youth In Tourism Innovation Challenge
The Africa Youth in Tourism Innovation Summit (AYTIS) & Challenge is hosted by Africa Tourism Partners in collaboration with UNWTO and BDO. It is the “one and only” pan-African Youth and start-ups in Tourism Summit and innovation challenge in tourism on the continent.
Background: Registration for Africa Youth in Tourism Innovation Summit
The 4th and 2022 Youth in Tourism Innovation Summit will be hosted by the Ministry of Environment, Forestry and Tourism, Namibia. The key focus areas will include but not limited to youth entrepreneurship, and students’ immersion in innovation, small enterprise development, personal transformation, and self-actualization.
Delegates will connect with African and global tourism leaders, entrepreneurial innovators, and partner organizations from across Africa and rest of the world.
Held annually in collaboration with the UNWTO and BDO, this year’s Summit will include desktop exhibition focused on highlighting youth empowerment initiatives, SMEs trade offerings including tour operators, tourism accommodation facilities, transport service providers, educational institutions, travel and marketing technology start-ups and incubators, employment agencies, professional development and more. The goal is to provide a transformative platform for African Youth, start-up, entrepreneurs , students and small enterprises for income generation and career development.
Call for Applications: Youth In Tourism Innovation Challenge
This competition invites and welcomes innovative ideas and solutions that goes beyond technology but are travel, tourism and MICE industry related projects for review and adjudication by a preeminent panel of industry leaders. Through the summit and other media platforms, top 5 finalists of the Africa Youth in Tourism Innovation Challenge are introduced to industry leaders, mentors and potential funders and/or partnerships.
This is also an exclusive platform being provided to innovative African youth in travel and tourism looking for funding, partnership and mentorship opportunities to present their projects to the global market place in order to find the required support for their programmes.
Entry Guidelines & Eligibility Criteria
> The vision, uniqueness, authenticity and rationale.
> Evidence of innovation in travel & tourism or related industry challenge being solved in Africa – COVID 19 era and into the future (such as technological, social entrepreneurship, educational, youth empowerment and job creation, environmental sustainability, community development, etc.)
> The sustainability of the impact of the project on travel and tourism, local communities and/or related industries.
> Timelines for the project.
> The kind of support required – funding, investors, mentorship, partnerships, etc.
> Conclusion/additional, but relevant information of not more than 500 words.
> Competitor required to show a demo/Minimum Viable Product (MVP) (5 min) during the presentation.
> Age limit – 35 years.
- Challenge Opens: 8th December 2022.
- Closing date: 28th February 2023.
- Adjudicators will shortlist Top 5: 10th March 2023.
- Shortlisted project promoters will be informed: 15th March 2023.
- Mentorship for elevator pitches (12 hours): 2oth March – 16th May 2023.
- Submission of shortlisted project promoters: 5-minute presentation at the Summit – 19th May 2023.
- Top 3 announced on 2nd June 2023.
- Competitor required to show a demo/ Minimum Viable Product (MVP) (5min) during the presentation.
- Winners & Runners-up announcement: At ATLF Awards in Gaborone, Botswana on 20 October 2023.
Benefits for Winners
- $1000 grant seed for the winner.
- $500 grant seed for 1st & 2nd runner up.
- Complimentary enrolment for short courses provided by UNWTO.
- Mentorship, partnership, potential funding support and career opportunities.
- Opportunity to be part of an established network of Africa Youth in Tourism Mentors and Innovators.
Submission Deadline – 28th February, 2023