Innovation R&D, in collaboration with WomHub, brings together Western & Eastern Africa’s most inspiring and impactful makerspaces. Join in bridging the innovation gap through a learning journey how makerspaces can promote local R&D and support startups to develop, test and deploy homegrown solutions. The program aims to develop and strengthen local R&D for participating makerspaces through the incorporation of innovation, technology key trends, gender diversity and sustainability.
What is a makerspace?
Makerspaces are innovation spaces, tech hubs, labs, and facilities that set about to innovate, collaborate, create and drive impact through supporting the development of solutions, training and skills enhancement whilst incorporating technology hardware or software.
This exciting opportunity is a 5-month hybrid program that kicks off in October 2023. The program is designed to incorporate a holistic approach of online masterclasses, innovation roadshows, and ecosystem tours in South Africa, a capstone project, and mentorship to support the implementation plan of your proposed project.
Participation in the program can significantly increase your hub’s value by developing a deeper incorporation of technology and innovation into programs and implementation. The thought-leading masterclasses and roadshow will culminate in the capstone project where participants will pitch a proposal for innovation utilizing the available grant funding.
- Applications are open to Western African and Eastern African Makerspaces who incorporate technology in their current implementation and programs
- Applicants need to have a workshop with a variety of maker equipment such as 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC machines, soldering irons, mould-making etc
- Applicants must have been at least 3+ years in operations and must have at least one established relationship (formal or informal) with a university
- Applicants must provide, plan to provide or partner to provide additional business development/support services to startups and cohort members
- Applicants must have a valid passport and be able and willing to travel on the above-mentioned dates
- Access to ecosystem industry experts to develop a deeper understanding of innovation trends and opportunities
- Develop a deeper understanding of how to collaborate with innovation ecosystems, build sustainable operation models and increase gender diversity in programming
- Innovation ecosystem tour with the South African RoadshowUp to € 5000 to implement the rollout of your project
- Mentorship to strengthen and support your 90 day implementation plan
Key dates to consider:
- October: Onboarding and Masterclass Series, Online
- 14th to 17th November: Roadshow and ecosystem tour, Cape Town, South Africa
- December to February 2024: Capstone proposal 90 days implementation
- December to February 2024: Mentorship
Deadline: 28 September 2023
Click HERE To Apply