Mountains cover 27 percent of the Earth’s land surface, hosting 25 of the world’s 34 biodiversity hotspots and serving as crucial water sources for half of humanity. Yet escalating risks from climate change and unsustainable development threaten mountains, people and the planet.
In recognition of these challenges, International Mountain Day 2023 aims to raise awareness and foster collective efforts to promote nature-based solutions, best practices and investments that enhance resilience, reduce vulnerability and enable mountain ecosystems and communities to adapt to present and future challenges.
Through your photographs, you can help capture mountain resilience. Submit a photo that reflects the importance of restoring mountain ecosystems and their vital role in sustaining our lives and livelihoods.
- The winner will receive a collection of FAO merchandise, including a backpack, water bottle and notebook.
- The photographs should not have been taken before January 1, 2018.
- Photographs should not have dates or text on the image.
- Each participant can send up to three photographs.
- All photographs should be in jpeg format.
- File size: Minimum pixel width 1754 pixels at 150 ppi; maximum file size 5 MB.
- Image data files should be created with still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras) and digital smartphones.
- Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Both colour and monochrome images will be accepted. (Scans of photographs taken by film cameras are not eligible.)
- The standard colour space for the judging process is sRGB.
To enter the contest, just follow these three steps:
- Submit a photo portraying the importance of restoring mountain ecosystems, highlighting mountain landscapes, biodiversity including rare animals and plants, water sources, restoration, reforestation, mountain agriculture, climate change impacts and /or mountain people involved in these activities.
- Fill in the online entry form, explaining what your photo represents and the role mountain ecosystems play in sustaining life and the planet.
- Share your photo on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn or Flickr, using the hashtag #MountainsMatter and tagging the Mountain Partnership (@UNMountains).
Deadline for entries: 10 November 2023
Click HERE to Apply