The annual Al-Sumait Prize honors individuals or institutions who have, through their work or research, made significant advances in the fields of food security, health, and education in Africa. An initiative of His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the late Amir of the State of Kuwait, it’s goal to shine a light on those making a positive difference to sustainable development in Africa.
Administered by the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) and a Board of Trustees, the awards celebrate the work and accomplishments of Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait, a Kuwaiti physician who spent his lifetime helping the poor in Africa in the field of health and education.
The objective of the prizes is to recognize best studies, scientific projects, applied research, and innovative initiatives that have a significant impact and lasting influence on advancing progress to economic and social development in Africa.
The prize for Education is now open. The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who, through their research projects or initiatives, have made significant advancement within the following areas:
- Improving people’s access to basic education, vocational & training programs and/or higher education.
- Improving literacy among all members of society.
- Decreasing the dependence of children’s education on the socio-economical status of their parents.
- Innovative approach to Education that maximizes resources available (Technology).
Conditions and requirements:
- The nominated candidates’ research and development work or projects and initiatives must be innovative and have achieved high-impact in the African continent.
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting significant economic, social, human resources and infrastructure development within the announced field of the
- The submitted research work of a nominated candidate should be composed of studies and applied research, published in peer-reviewed scientific journals and recognized at a global level within the announced field. The research outcomes need to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten years. Adequate supporting evidence needs to be provided.
- Nominations are accepted from competent regional and international institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from UN organizations, former winners in the field of the prize, or former evaluation
- All submissions must be submitted in English. If the work is carried out is in other languages, a comprehensive summary of the nominated work in English must be submitted.
How to Apply:
- Fill in the prize nomination form: https://kfas.formstack.com/forms/alsumait2023 and send it along with the scientific production works electronically in PDF format
- Applications are addressed to the Director General of the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS).
The nomination form and submitted works must be received before September 30th 2023.
Get more details HERE