UNWTO Inspiring Africa – Branding Challenge invites key actors from the marketing and branding sector to present their proposals for a campaign that positions Africa as a destination in the minds of travellers.
Application is open to:
-All those who want to make a difference for Africa through using their imagination!
-Marketing, communication, advertising and branding firms or group of companies, start-ups and innovators, marketers, designers, brand experts and digital experts.
The worldwide COVID-19 outbreak has brought the world to a standstill, and tourism has been the worst affected of all major economic sectors. The impact on Africa has been delayed, but the continent will also be severely affected, both economically and socially, by this unprecedented pandemic.
Against the current backdrop of heightened uncertainty, tourism´s proven resiliency and dynamic nature needs to be harnessed and reinforced to support livelihoods. In this regard, a strong destination brand will contribute to boosting traveller confidence and promoting new experiences in one of the world’s most vibrant destinations.
Beyond COVID-19, the campaign aims to create a positive image of Africa as a tourism destination that support the efforts of individual countries and companies, tells the many positive stories about Africa and makes tourism a driver of development.
Proposals should meet the following criteria:
• Innovative and inspiring in nature
• With a focus on Africa but eventually adaptable regionally and to individual countries
• Relevant in the current COVID-19 recovery context and in the medium term
• Integrate innovative technologies and digital tools (mobile technologies, virtual reality, IOT, Big Data etc.)
• Open to potential public-private partnerships
• Stress sustainability and community engagement
• Support the economic growth of Africa and strategies to attract investment.
• Showcase and celebrate Africa´s rich cultural and biodiversity
• Showcase and celebrate Africa´s innovations and achievements
UNWTO branding challenge 2020 Timeline
• Deadline for candidatures 8 August 2020
• Announcement of shortlisted proposals 1 September 2020
• Presentation of winners October 2020.