The World Bank Group Young Professionals Program (WBG YPP) is a great place to start if you want to work at the World Bank Group.
Young Professionals with varied academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC, and MIGA are recruited from all over the world.
As 2023 nears, the WBG is looking for people with passion for international development, a graduate degree, relevant professional experience, and the ability to rise into influential leadership roles across our organizations.
The WBG YPP is a 2-year leadership development curriculum at the start of a 5-year employment contract.
YPs are offered five-year contracts with varying terms and conditions depending on the institution. During the offer stage, candidates will be given more information in accordance with the most recent policies of their specific employing institution.
It interests you to know, that YPs also receive a competitive salary and benefits package as part of the five-year term contract. Benefits include health, life and accident insurance, a pension plan and possible relocation and mobility benefits depending on WBG guidelines. Candidates will be provided with further detail during the offer stage.
Who can apply?
To be considered for the WBG YPP, applicants must;
- Be born on or after October 1, 1990
- Have a master’s or doctoral degree
- Specialize in a field relevant to YPP Business Areas
- Demonstrate relevant professional experience or continued study at the doctoral level
- Be fluent in English
- Nationals of WBG member countries or countries of operations.
Graduate degree requirements:
- For World Bank placement: Complete a relevant master’s degree by September 2022 or PhD before September 2023. Fields of study should be related to a World Bank Business Area.
- For IFC & MIGA placement: Complete a relevant graduate degree by September 2023. Fields of study should be related to an IFC or MIGA Business Area, including but not limited to a Master’s of Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations, Science and Engineering.
Professional experience requirements:
For World Bank placement: Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in continued study at the doctoral level.
For IFC & MIGA placement: Demonstrate 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development and/or consulting. Certifications such as the CFA are a plus.
Additional Points To Consider
In order to be competitive, applicants should also:
- Display a commitment and passion for international development
- Possess outstanding academic credentials
- Exhibit excellent client engagement, communication and team leadership skills
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant sector trends
The qualities listed below provide additional advantage:
- Work experience in emerging markets or developing countries
- Excellent proficiency in one of the following official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
How To Apply:
Applications are open from June 15 – July 15 2022 for all profiles and from August 15 – September 30 for IFC and MIGA profiles only.
Note: Before applying, make sure you satisfy all eligibility conditions and have gone over the application checklist below to make sure you have everything you need. On the last day of the application period, applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). Candidates must select the institution that best aligns with their skillset on the application (the World Bank, IFC or MIGA). Duplicate applications will not be examined and will not improve a candidate’s chances of being chosen.
- Academic Credentials
- 1 Short Essay
- Short Summary of Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates, only if applicable)
- 3 Professional or Academic Recommendations
Diploma, Degree Completion Letter, Proof of Enrollment with Expected Graduation Date or Transcript. (Recommendations will be requested via email during the eligibility screening stage).
Short Essay Question
Please answer the following (in 750 words or 4,500 characters or less):
Given the current global context, how can the World Bank Group help our country clients support and reach a green, resilient and inclusive development? Please include rebuilding on progress lost on the WBG’s twin goals over the past few years, as it relates to your area of work.
The World Bank Group is closely monitoring COVID-19 developments. To ensure the safety of our current and prospective staff, YPP interviews will be conducted virtually and may include:
- Pre-recorded interview (on Hirevue)
- Live panel interview
- An assessment center, where you will be asked to participate in individual and group exercises
- Timed computer-based financial tests (IFC candidates)
Applicants that qualify for the interview will receive more information as the process progresses.
Experience, technical expertise, and competencies such as customer orientation, leadership, and communication are used to evaluate candidates.
For more info, kindly visit the official website for WBG YPP.